Sunday, June 24, 2012

"Shuger - A Good Little Hamster"

So.... I'm terrible.  I am no good at journaling, and apparently no good at blogging either!  All I can do is play catch-up.  So bear with me as we take a little stroll back in time.  It's for our own sake and no one may end up reading it, but we will be happy to have it.


Our first pet, a cute little dwarf hamster named 'Sugar,' died 6 months after we got her.  Haley got it for her birthday.  She originally named it "Frenchie," but changed it to Sugar after we realized what a crrrrrazy hamster she was!  We only got one hamster because we heard they can eat each other.  That was probably a mistake because she went quite crazy - she chewed on the bars and constantly attacked your hand.  We have since heard they do better as a pair of girls, so I suppose we should've gotten her a friend.  We still had a lot of fun watching her run around in her ball, make nests, and chew on broccoli.  Anyway, the night before she died she ran around the cage all night, and by morning was hardly moving.  Maybe she got poisoned from all the paint she gnawed off the bars of her cage!  Haley went to school concerned about her little pet.  I told her she was probably just tired from running around all night.  Well, an hour later I found the hamster had died.  I was glad I found it so it wasn't too traumatic for Haley, but I still dreaded telling my little girl when she got home - she has such a tender heart.  It was just as hard as I thought.  I never want to give her news like that again.  As silly as a hamster is, you never like to see your little girl hurt.  We placed Sugar made a box into a comfy casket.  We buried her in the back yard.  (It took 2 hours to dig a small hole in our rocky soil.  Ugh.)  RIP Sugar....


March 2010


Sep 2010

June 2012

No comments: